Search My Blog

Sunday 15 October 2017

Grandma's Christmas Cake

Anyone who knows me well will know that Christmas is my absolute all time favourite time of year. I BLOOMIN' LOVE IT. As soon as summer is over I'm getting hyped for the festive season. Now, I usually try to behave myself and don't get into the Christmas spirit until the last week of November at the very least. However, if you want to make a Christmas cake then mid-October is the perfect time to do it. I very much enjoy the fact that this gives me an excuse to have a few hours of feeling 'Christmassy' super early. I had to make my cake at the end of September this year before I moved away to University but if you've not done it yet, now is the perfect opportunity.

My Grandma was an amazing woman for many reasons but one thing that she is remembered fondly for is her incredible cooking and baking! Her Christmas cake recipe is undoubtedly the best and you lucky lot have me to share it with you! So get the festive tunes on and get baking.

so, so haps to have an excuse to wear my xmas jumper! (and to look like a twat)

Ingredients:

  • 8oz (225g) butter
  • 8oz (225g) soft brown sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 8oz (225g) plain flour
  • 4oz (115g) glace cherries
  • 4oz (115g) ground almonds
  • 4oz (115g) raisins
  • 8oz (225g) currants
  • 8oz (225g) sultanas
  • 1 teaspoon mixed spice
  • 1 tablespoon black treacle


Method:
  1. Cream together the butter and sugar 
  2. Gradually blend in the eggs and flour 

  3. Put all fruit and spice into a separate bowl and stir in the ground almonds 
  4. Combine the two mixtures, add the black treacle 

  5. Transfer the mixture to an 8 inch, lined cake tin 
  6. Cook at 160° for 2 hours 

Once the cake has cooled, you need to wrap it in grease-proof paper and store in a tin.



Dates for the diary: At the end of October, make holes in the cake with a skewer and pour over 2 tablespoons of brandy. Then, at the end of November, spread a thin layer of apricot jam over the cake and then place a thin layer of marzipan to cover the cake (I just use shop bought marzipan). In the week before Christmas (or whenever it is that you want to eat the cake) add a layer of royal icing. You can either buy 'ready to roll' icing or make your own. Last year I made my own using this Mary Berry recipe and it was delicious! In between all of these steps, re-cover the cake with grease-proof paper. You won't need to do this once the cake is iced.

Follow me on Instagram @cornerofkatie  to see what my cake looks like once it's finished in December. No doubt I shall post a picture of it!
Don't forget you can follow this blog too (blue 'follow' button in top left corner).

Thank you so much for reading. Let me know if you have a go at this recipe - I'd love to see your versions!

Love,
Katie xxx







No comments:

Post a Comment